Back to Brew Family Tree
John George's Birth Certificate
Registration District Lewisham, 1853 birth in the Sub-district of Plumstead and Charlton, in the County of Kent. No.317.
When and where born: 20 November 1853, 54 Frederick Place, Plumstead. Sex: Boy. Name and surname of father: John Brew. Name, surname and maiden name of mother: Elizabeth Martha Brew, formerly Jakman. Occupation of father: Blacksmith. Signature, description and residence of informant: John Brew, father, 54 Frederick Place, Plumstead. When registered: 22 December 1853. Signature of registrar: Eliza Burner, Registrar.
John George and Jane Isabella's Marriage Certificate
Registration District Gateshead. 1872 Marriage solemnized at the Register Office in the District of Gateshead in the County of Durham. No. 5.
When married: 15 July 1872. John George Brew, 21 years old, bachelor, Engine Fitter, residing at Durham Terrace, Gateshead, Father's name: John George Brew, a Foreman at a Laboratory. Jane Isabella Chater, 19 years old, spinster, residing at Durham Terrace, Gateshead. Father: John Chater, a Foreman at a Locomotive Department.
Undersigned by John and Jane. Witnesses were Jane's parents, John and Mary Chater, nee Wardle, and William Usher. Also undersigned by the Registrar, John Usher, and the Deputy Superintendent Registrar, Matthew Clarkson.
[NB. If one refers to John George's Birth Certificate, above, it can be seen that he was, in actual fact, only 19 when he got married, not 21. Jane, too, lied about her age, as she was only 17 years old at the time and already pregnant with their first child, William, who was born before the end of the year]
John George's Descendants
John George Brew was born 20 November 1853 in Plumstead, Kent, England, and died 15 October 1886 in Bideford Bay, Devon, England. He married Jane Isabella Chater, who was born ca. 1855 in Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, England, daughter of John Chater and Jane Wardle, on 15 July 1872 in Gateshead, County Durham, England. She died 25 September 1897 in South Shields, Durham, England. Their children were:
- William Brew who was born ca. 1907, and died ca. 1914 at age 7 of scarlet fever
- John Kenneth Brew who was born 17 January 1909 in Portadown, Belfast, Northern Ireland, and died 6 July 1986 in Belfast, Northern Ireland. He married Sheila Doreen Haddow, who was born 28 September 1917 in Belfast, Northern Ireland, on 2 September 1939 in Belfast, Northern Ireland. She died 17 May 1998 in Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Winifred Marion Brew who was born 3 September 1911 in Portadown, Belfast, Northern Ireland, and married Robert Brown, who died before 1960 in Northern Ireland
- Richard Albert Brew who was born and died 17 September 1908 in Stockton, Newcastle, N.S.W., Australia
- Maggie Grace (Peggy) Brew who was born 7 April 1912 in Stockton, N.S.W., and died 16 August 1986. She married Robert Gillespie, son of David Gillespie and Emily Jane Dowling, who died February 1974
- Albert Halewood Brew who was born 10 March 1913 in Stockton, N.S.W., Australia, and died 28 November 1976 in Sydney, N.S.W., Australia. He married firstly Iris Thelma Bannister who was born 1 February 1913 in Surrey Hills, Victoria, Australia, the daughter of Theodore Leonard Bannister and Nellie Lyon, on 7 October 1937 in Pitt Street Congregational Church, Sydney, N.S.W. She died 12 September 1954 in Killara, N.S.W., Australia, after which Albert married secondly Ida Ashton, in 1960. Ida was still alive in 2002
- William Aubrey Brew who was born 25 July 1916 in Nobbys Beach, Newcastle, N.S.W., Australia. He married Ingrid Emma Nippard, who was born 19 August 1920, on 8 October 1948 in St. James Church, King Street, Sydney, N.S.W., Australia
- John Brew who was born and died 28 February 1926 in Newcastle, N.S.W., Australia
- John Sidney Brew who was born 27 January 1916 in Liverpool, Lancashire, England, and died 15 November 1942 in the Atlantic Ocean, off Gibraltar, during World War Two. He married Violet Mitchell, who was born 11 December 1917, on 19 October 1939
- Ralph Leonard Brew who was born 2 July 1919 in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and died in Belfast on 31 August 2001. He married Stella Nicol, who was born 17 January 1926 in Belfast, Northern Ireland, on 5 September 1949 in Belfast, Northern Ireland
Leonard married secondly Annie Elizabeth Forbes, who was born ca. 1887, in 1925. She died 31 March 1972 in Belfast, Northern Ireland. They had a son:
- Alan Wesley Brew who was born 8 February 1925 in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and died 19 June 1991 in Belfast, Northern Ireland. He married Jeannie Loughead, who died 15 September 1993
John George's Death Certificate
An entry into the Marine Register during the month of November 1886.
Name of Ship: Castleton. Official number: 81774. Date of Death: Supposed lost 15.10.86. Place of Death: [blank]. Name and Surname of Deceased: John G Brew. Sex: Male. Age: 36. Rank, Profession or Occupation: 1st Engineer. Nationality: Woolwich. Last Place of Abode: 49 Exeter Street, Gateshead. Cause of Death: Supposed drowned. Passenger or Member of Crew: Crew.Jane Isabella's Death Certificate
Registration District South Shields. 1897 Death in the Sub-district of Westoe in the Counties of South Shields and Durham. No.331.
25 September 1897, Woodland Terrace, South Shields, NB, Jane Isabella Brew, Female, 42 years, widow of John George Brew, Marine Engineer (Merchant Service), Cause of Death: phlebitis (veins of leg) 18 days, septicaemia 6 days, congestion of the lungs 2 days, certified by Wm Means MD., Informant: John George Chater, brother, In attendance, 3 Radbourne Tce, Gateshead, Registered: 27 September 1897. Signature of registrar: [illegible].
John George and Jane Isabella's Family
For further information, see Infant Deaths.
|John George||20 November 1853||15 July 1872||15 October 1886|
|Jane Isabella Chater||22 April 1855||15 July 1872||25 September 1897|
|William||31 October 1872||-||18 June 1874|
|John||10 July 1874||-||21 July 1874|
|John George jnr. ("Jack")||14 December 1876||19 April 1905||6 April 1918|
|Thomas||1 April 1878||-||24 June 1878|
|Albert||7 October 1879||18 December 1907||16 April 1948|
|Ernest||8 December 1883||-||6 March 1884|
|Leonard Septimus||28 February 1887||6 July 1914||12 September 1947|
Back to Top